Transport Workers Union Driver Safety, NSW Labor Council Support
N.S.W. Transport Workers Union reminds drivers on safety
The N.S.W. Branch of the Transport Workers Union condemns Patrick Stevedores for the Sacking of its workforce. The Union is concerned for the safety of its members who are directed to drive through industrial confrontations.
The T.W.U. reminds transport workers that under the occupational Health and
Safety Act , if they genuinely believe they are in an unsafe environment ,
they may refuse to enter that unsafe area.
Labor Council of N.S.W. organises to support wharfies
Labor Council of N.S.W. , in responding to recent developments in the
waterfront dispute , fully supports the campaign of the MUA in conjunction
with the ACTU , to seek the reinstatement of all sacked Patrick employees.
Council condemns the actions of the Federal Government and Patricks in
conspiring to smash the MUA and the organised labour movement in Australia.
These actions are contrary to the spirit and intent of Australias long
traditions of settling industrial disputation by conciliation and
As such they are plainly unAustralian , undemocratic and pose grave threat
to the job security of all Australians.
Specifically , the Labor Council will:
- Liaise closely with the MUA and the ACTU on all aspects of the dispute.
- Convene an MUA Defence Committee of Senior N.S.W. officials to meet
regularly in order to monitor developments , plan activities , supportive
action and co-ordinate the N.S.W. union movement`s responses;
- Establish a N.S.W. Waterfront Family Support Trust Fund WITH AN INITIAL
Labor council contribution of $25000 and a target of $500000 from N.S.W.
unions and the general community. This fund will be administered by trustees
and monitored and reviewed in accordance with future developments in the
- Encourage all affiliates to "adopt" M.U.A. families with financial support
which may include specific support from union offices , workplaces, regions
- Labor Council will allocate up to $50000, to underwrite the costs of:
All Labor Council media strategies to be co-ordinated with the M.U.A. and
- a media/public relations consultant to assist the MUA and NSW unions in
- a media campaign in defence of trade unionism , both in general media
and specifically through Labor Council`s state wide media assets.
- preparation of generic publicity material for adaptation by individual
affiliates for their particular membership needs.
- CO-ORDINATE AFFILIATES AND COMMUNITY , PARTICIPATION IN PEACEFUL ASSEMBLY PROTESTS.
- Co-ordinate the preparation,collection, distribution and signing of
petitions opposing Patricks actions;
- Organise a meeting of union officials, organisers , activists and
delegates to co-ordinate the N.S.W. contribution across all affiliates.
LEFTLINK - Victoria's Broad Left Mailing List
Sponsored by Melbourne's New International Bookshop
Publication of a message on this list does not indicate
endorsement by either LEFTLINK or the New International Bookshop.
Contact Takver with questions Or comments about this web page .
Last Modified : April 17, 1998