Ship Repair & shipbuilding yards in or near Balmain
Aerial view of the Balmain peninsula and Sydney Harbour showing the
ship repair and shipbuilding yards in or near Balmain, Sydney.
Balmain's Maritime History includes the history of boat yards, shipyards and ship repair yards which once inhabited Balmain and provided employment for Painters and Dockers.
- 1. Poole and Steel, Stephen Street
- 2. Irma and Dick White, Shipwriting, Grafton Street
- 3. Maritime Services Board Depot, Cameron's Cove (now proposed Water Police)
- 4. Nichol Bros. and Penguin Floating Crane, Weston Street
- 5. S.G. White & Co. (the "Bull Ring") Lookes Avenue
- 6. Maritime Services Board, Goat Island
- 7. Adelaide S.S. Co., Nicholson Street
- 8. Chapman's Slipway, Hart Street
- 9. Mort's Dock & Eng. Co., Mort Bay
- 10. Stannard's Launches, Lemm Street
- 11. Jubilee Eng. Co., Yeroulbin Street
- 12. Morrison & Sinclair, Long Nose (now Yeroulbin) Point
- 13. Storey & Keers, Louisa Road
- 14. Howard Smith S.S. Co. (old coal mine site), Water Street, moved from Adolphus
- 15. Cockatoo Island
- 16. S.G. White ("Bull Ring"), Fitzroy Avenue, moved from Lookes Avenue
My Union Right or Wrong.
A history of the Ship Painters and Dockers Union 1900-1932
By Issy Wyner